CV Milah Wouters (ENG)
S. D. M. (Milah) Wouters, Msc.
2012 – 2014: Director Nationale DenkTank
Responsible for external affairs, recruitment of partners and business & organisational development of the foundation. Objective of this foundation is organising a yearly think-tank about complex societal topics to enhance knowledge exchange between governmental, scientific and business organisations. In this think-tank exceptional and socially engaged students from different studies, develop visionary and practical solutions. The foundation has an impressive network consisting of scientific, societal, business and governmental organisations and stakeholders. See www.nationale-denktank.nl
2009 – present: owner of Fairvent. Advisor in the area of Corporate Responsibility and Ethics.
- Summer 2012: project manager for CEO dinner to be organised by MVO Nederland and KPMG around the theme ‘scarcity of resources’.
- Summer 2012: feasibility study for a green festival by assignment of Xsaga. Based on interviews with profit and non-profit companies we make an inventory of possible formats for the festival and test the interest of various parties.
- November 2011 – February 2012: developing a tool handbook for FairMatch Support and advise on translating strategy into procedures. FMS is a company operating between local farmers in developing countries and commercial parties like Ahold. They support parties in developing sustainable and increase export volumes without compromising on sustainability.
- April 2011 – September 2011: interim Corporate Director Social Responsibility USG People N.V. Working directly with the board and the CEO, responsible for developing strategic framework for CSR, give the board advice on the organisational values and operationalize CSR topics.
- 2009 – 2011: consultant to the CR team for Redevco, a real estate company. Various roles: process manager of the Corporate Responsibility (CR) working group at Redevco. Initiator: CR management process, develop corporate giving policy and procedure, stakeholder engagement policy, CR strategy overall, presentations and planning. Facilitating meetings with board, operational team. Sparring partner: for HR director, environmental manager, communication manager and responsible board member. Developed and co-wrote the CR report 2009 and within a broader team, the CR report 2010.
- 2010 – 2011: Together with her partner, Milah has built her own sustainable house. The objective was to build it as sustainable as possible. By using forms of renewable energy, source locally and responsible, using ecological and/or socially responsible material and tendering in a transparent and open manner. See www.kliesjozefbouw.nl
- August 2010 – December 2010: active member of the initiative Our Common Future (www.ourcommonfuture.nl) in the working group ‘Wonen’. Objective is to write a vision on Sustainable Living in 2035.
- May 2010: Master of ceremony launch of the brand SUMM – FairConnect.
- 2009 and 2010: conducting strategic CSR workshops in cooperation with Enviu (www.enviu.org) for Rebel, Yacht and T-Mobile.
- September 2009: Inspiration workshop for Lexro (household goods company) on CR. What are their drivers, what examples, leaders inspire them? How can we match these drivers, personal inspiration with the practice of CR?
- 2009: Development and operationalize Internal Value System FairConnect (www.fairconnect.nl). Part of the assignment is identifying and selecting fair trade certification labels.
- 2009: Developing and conducting CSR training PPP (sector initiative promotional products) for the consultancy company The Terrace (www.theterrace.nl).
- February 2009: developing and conducting sales strategy training Net4Kids (non-profit organisation)
2001 – 2009. Advisor. KPMG Sustainability
Started working in 2001 in the Ethics & Integrity Services department. In 2002 joined the Sustainability department conducting advisory and verification engagements. Working field focus is providing strategic and implementation advice to multinational companies, mainly within the social dimension of sustainability. In the field of training and educational development, co-developed and conducted CSR training for clients and colleagues on social dimension of Corporate Social Responsibility in different countries (The Netherlands, Japan, Brazil, and Hungary), trainings about ethics and integrity and business advisory skills.
Some project examples:
- 2006 -2007: CEPS, Brewers of Europe and STIVA. Supported development non-financial report CEPS, verification of the STIVA report in 2007 and assisted the BoE in developing measuring systems for self-regulation commitments.
- 2006-2007: Cofra Holding and Redevco. Conducted workshops about ethics and values, and developed a tailor-made dilemma game on how to implement a code of conduct.
- 2005-2006: Philips International. Conducted a benchmark in the area of social investment to support Philips’ strategy development on social investment.
- 2004 - 2006: Heineken. Involved in developing and conducting verification work for Heineken’s CSR report and specifically developed verification structure for code of conduct and whistle blower procedures. Also carried out a benchmark on supplier codes.
- 2004 - 2006: Toyota Motor Europe/ Toyota Motor Corporation. Several projects, including benchmarking social issues and reporting, social issues and suppliers, corporate philanthropy, human resources, developing the Code of Conduct for TME and a social performance measurement system.
- 2005: Australian New Zealand banking group (ANZ). Completed a strategic benchmark around sustainability performance management in institutional and corporate lending and project finance.
- 2003/2005: Sara Lee / DE . Conducted research for developing a monitoring system to provide assurance on the code of conduct for the supply chain of coffee producers. This included site visits to Brazil and Uganda where the coffee is produced, stakeholder dialogue with relevant stakeholders. Conducted pilot to develop a CSR report Sara Lee/DE. Made an inventory of CSR risks and opportunities in CSR and branding for Sara Lee/DE Household & Body Care.
- 2003: Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Implemented code of conduct at the ministry. Developed and conducted workshops, interviews and developed implementation toolbox.
- 2003: Shell. Conducted assurance work on the Shell business principles for the Shell report.
- 2001/2002: ING. During an eight-month outplacement responsible for setting up and filling in the second sustainable report of ING Group. Coordinated the report project and provided advice on policy making and strategy planning on sustainability: how to implement and develop CSR within ING. Worked on stakeholder dialogue strategy, issue management and developing social KPIs.
1993 – 2001: University of Utrecht, The Netherlands. Bachelor Cultural Anthropology, masters Business Anthropology.
January – summer 2000: Researcher. Mumbai, India. As part of my final thesis, conducted research to investigate the practice of codes of conduct in the garment and retail industry. Spent two months in Mumbai and Tirupur (India), talking to different stakeholders in India and the Netherlands about codes of conduct. Worked together with the “Landelijke India Werkgroep” and “Clean Clothes Campaign”. 2001: Publication results final thesis on the website of Clean Clothing Campaign Netherlands.
Summer 1996: Researcher. Kathmandu, Nepal
As part of my bachelors study of cultural anthropology, conducted research to investigate the influence of tourism on the socio-economic position of women in Nepal.
1986 – 1992: International School Eerde, Ommen, The Netherlands. International Baccalaureate (IB) diploma.
Other training / education:
Art of Hosting training beginning of 2012
Business English language course in 2007 and 2010
Followed management / advisory skills training in 2004 and 2006
Business and Culture at Trompenaars, Hampden – Turner Institute, 2001
Spanish language courses in 1993 at Estudios Hispanicos Espanolas, Salamanca, Spain and in 2006 at Tandem Santiago, Santiago Chile
Voluntary work / networks:
October 2006 – February 2007: Coordinated and conducted a project for the Dutch-Chilean NGO Enviu regarding the feasibility of micro-finance in region XII, Patagonia in Chile.
1997 – 1999: President of the Century Committee (Lustrum Commissie) of the Utrechtsche Vrouwelijke Studenten Vereniging te Utrecht/ Nieuwe Vereniging der Vrouwelijke Studenten te Utrecht (UVSV/NVVSU), Utrecht. As the president, developed framework for the century celebration of the largest female student organisation in the Netherlands. Total budget for the 2 year project was 1.1 million Euros.
Personal characteristics and skills
Effective leadership skills, flexible and independent. Net-worker and problem solver. Highly motivated, energetic, capable of analytical and logical reasoning.Internationally oriented, enjoy working together in a multi-disciplinary team and supporting and coaching people.
Native Dutch speaker; fluent in English as a second language; reasonable Spanish and average German.
Sailing (racing), mountaineering, skiing and climbing, photography and travelling.